Eighth Annual International
Zen Calligraphy Intensive
Kazuaki Tanahashi with Christine Renden Haggarty
March 11 - 17, 2019
near San Francisco Airport
Kazuaki Tanahashi is a world renowned calligrapher, painter, Zen scholar, author, and translator of Buddhist texts including
works by Zen Master Dogen. Also a peace activitist and a Fellow of the World
Academy of Art and Science.
This is an invitation to connect with the transformative practice combining brushwork, meditation and the creative process, near one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
Daily activities will include meditation, readings of Zen texts, and presentations on the history of East Asian calligraphy. You will practice with formal, semi-cursive, and cursive characters as well as their artistic interpretations during studio time. You will learn how to paint your favorite phrases, then mount your calligraphy for display. You will experiment with brushes and paper of different sizes, painting with black ink and watercolors. Kaz Sensei will work with participants to develop their own artistic name.
The intensive will be held at Mercy Center, an internationally known conference and retreat center near San Francisco Airport. A former convent on 40 acres, Mercy Center is an oasis of quiet, contemplative living. It is public transit friendly, with free shuttles available at certain hours of the day.
Click on Video Below (arrow) >
In effect, Tanahashi invites us into many aspects of the dynamic and wide-ranging world of calligraphy and we can understand why it has been considered the highest of all art forms.
Stephen Addis - author of How to Look at Japanese Art.
Christine Renden Haggarty is a Zen practitioner, artist and instructor who lives in Northern California. For over 20 years she has been practicing East Asian calligraphy and has studied with several Asian masters. For more information about Christine go to zenbrush.net.
To register or for more information contact Christine at http://www.zenbrush.net to be placed on the list of participants. Deposits (half of the total fee - $800) should be received by December 1, 2018. Prior to Dec. 1, 2018 (early registration) the cost is $1595 for a single room, fully inclusive of lodging, meals, tuition, and materials. After Dec. 1, 2018, the cost is $1695 fully inclusive.
For more information and a tentative schedule, go to zenbrush.net. The workshop is limited to 25 participants.
Comments from participants
- “This experience shall remain with me all my life likely in ways I can't yet predict or expect."
- "The best part was the generosity of knowledge, assistance and community."
- "Kaz seems to be able to address all levels. Nice balance of formal instruction and creative exploration."
- "The wet mounting is an important part of the creative process."
- "Lunch or Dinner with Kaz is a very special feature."
- "I really liked all the films that were shown, which enriched the experience and brought in another mode of related subject matter."
- "The best part was when Kaz Sensei took my hand to do the calligraphy. For me it was the best way to understand considering I'm a right side of the brain person."
- "This retreat included special events and perks not included in other ones I've attended. Loved the wet mounting and making a book of my artwork."
- "Overall it was an extraordinary experience. Being cared for in the instruction and a wonderful blend of activities that kept the energy alive and the creativity flowing."