Upaya Zen Center, Santa Fe, New Mexico
Instructor(s): Roshi Joan Halifax * Roshi Pat Enkyo O'Hara * Sensei Kaz Tanahashi
Rohatsu Sesshin marks the enlightenment of the Buddha. It is a powerful gathering of practitioners and friends who are dedicated to realizing the way. Roshis Joan Halifax and Enkyo O'Hara, and Sensei Kazuaki Tanahashi explore the enlightenment of the Buddha, the story and its meaning in our lives today, during this powerful annual retreat.
The retreat is in silence, with sitting and walking meditation, eating formally as a community, daily dharma talks, private interviews with teachers, liturgy and samu. Sesshin provides a powerful container supporting the unification of body and mind, and our individuality with the community and the world. Roshi Joan Halifax is Abbot of Upaya Zen Center. Roshi Enkyo O'Hara is Abbot of Village Zendo, and Sensei Kazuaki Tanahashi is a Dogen Scholar.
Roshi Joan will review applications. This is the only sesshin that Roshi leads during the year. In general, she prioritizes attendance for her students and those of Roshi Enkyo, as well as people who have experience with sitting longer sesshin in the past. We also ask that you are able to commit to sitting the entire sesshin with the community. We are not be able to accommodate late comers or those who wish to leave early.
Meals are taken in oriyoki style; we will not able to meet all dietary needs. If you have any special food needs, please be sure to include that information on the application.
Rohatsu sesshin is a wonderful experience, and it is also demanding in many ways. Thoughtfully consider before applying. We ask that you graciously understand if we are unable to accommodate your request to attend. If we cannot accept you at this time, please consider signing up for one of the other programs and sesshins that are offered at Upaya throughout the year.
Acceptance into Rohatsu is based on an application.
- Balances are due October 1, 2017 for this retreat.
- Upaya retains a $50 processing fee for all cancellations prior to September 15th.
- If you cancel from September 16-October 1, Upaya retains the $100 deposit.
- If you cancel anytime from October 2-30, 50% of the tuition and housing upgrade (if applicable) is non-refundable ($297.50/members; $327/non-members).
- If you cancel anytime from October 31 - December 1, 100% of your tuition and housing upgrade (if applicable) is non-refundable.