Kazuaki Tanahashi is a renowned calligraphic artist and teacher who works with hundreds of students in calligraphy workshops throughout the world each year.
In this online workshop, you can study with him up close, as he guides you in exploring the wondrous world of brush calligraphy.
In each of the eight workshop sessions, Kaz will guide you in making a close study of a sample from an ancient Chinese masterpiece. He will demonstrate the character himself and then comment on the work of several of his calligraphy friends to help you deepen your understanding. He ends each session with homework designed to help you cultivate your own calligraphy practice.
You don’t need to have any previous experience of calligraphy or know any East Asian language to take this course. It takes years of practice to be a good calligrapher, but in this workshop, through Kaz’s unique style of teaching, you will experience both a beginning and at the same time an advanced study of East Asian calligraphy.
In this course, you will:
- Examine samples from ancient Chinese masterpieces and make a close study of them by faithfully copying the characters
- Become familiar with the techniques, aesthetics, and philosophy of traditional brushwork
- Enjoy drawing lines and eventually creating beautiful pieces
- Learn to interpret the original artwork and create your own expressive work
- Gain experience through the homework exercises and be ready to explore other characters in Kazuaki Tanahashi’s book Heart of the Brush
This course includes:
Eight downloadable video lessons (15–35 minutes in length) with instruction from Kaz Tanahashi along with audio files and transcripts for all lessons
Guided reading assignments for each lesson and a 50% discount off the paperback version of Heart of the Brush by Kazuaki Tanahashi
Homework exercises to help you practice and integrate the lessons from Kaz
Unlimited access to all course materials
Cost of Program: $59.00
For information and to register go to: http://www.shambhala.com/heart-of-the-brush-an-online-east-asian-calligraphy-workshop.html
Important Note on Browser Requirements
We are partnering with Instructure.com’s online learning platform Canvas to offer this course. Canvas supports the last two versions of every browser release.
As of September 17, 2016, Canvas supports the following versions of Flash and popular web browsers:
· Internet Explorer 11 and Edge
· Chrome 52 and 53
· Safari 8 and 9
· Firefox 47 and 48 (Extended Releases are not supported)
· Flash 22 and 23 (used for recording or viewing audio/video and uploading files)
We highly recommend updating to the newest version of whatever browser you are using as well as the most up-to-date Flash plugin. If you cannot update your browser to one of the above versions, you will not be able to access this course. Some supported browsers may still produce a banner stating Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements for Canvas. If you have upgraded your browser but still see the warning banner, try logging out of Canvas and deleting your browser cookies.